Join Namibia Vet Safaris on our Vets for Wildlife Program. This is open and perfect for individual students, vets, vet nurses, biologists and everyone else keen to learn more about vet wildlife work and the role the vet plays in conservation. This program or internship can be combined with a short safari in Namibia or with a visit to one of the Wildlife Sanctuaries in Namibia.
This program will be based at our new Nature Travel Veterinary Clinic just outside of Outjo in north-central Namibia at the Rare and Endangered Species Trust Sanctuary and during the two-week program you will be working with our resident vet on the following:
• Treatment of wildlife at the Rare and Endangered Species Trust (REST) sanctuary. – current resident species include Cape Vulture, Common Duiker, Pangolin, Bateleur, Western Barn Owl, Honey Badger, Warthog etc
• Assist in conservation projects
• Joining our non-profit Trust, Nature Travel Wildlife Conservation and Veterinary Trust we will respond to any wildlife emergencies throughout Namibia – you will experience working with a variety of wildlife species – ranging from Elephant, Rhino, Lion, Hyena and Leopard to smaller creatures like Pangolin, Dik-dik, Steenbok, Honey Badger. We will also respond to injured birds of prey.
• Commercial Vet Wildlife work – Rhino, Sable, Roan, Mass capture etc.
• Large Animal vet work – horses and cattle
• Domestic small animal work– including the opportunity for students to participate in spaying and castration campaigns to neuter and vaccinate stray animals which will in turn help prevent the spread of disease to wildlife like African Wild Dog.
The accommodation options for our program are as follows:
A: Shared Self-Catering Tents or Rooms at REST – With this option you will be based at the sanctuary full time which will include assistance at night with treatment and care of nocturnal animals or any emergencies that might occur. Tents/rooms will be provided, but this will be fairly basic. Meals are prepared by yourself and we will assist you with buying the supplies for your stay.
B: Etotongwe Lodge – The lodge is located 4kms from REST and accommodation will be in a clean and comfortable air conditioned en-suite bedroom. The abundance of local birds together with the wild animals around the lodge gives your stay a unique “bush-feel”. End the day at the swimming pool, while enjoying a sundowner from the local restaurant. Accommodation will be on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis.
Optional Activities and Extensions:
Extend your stay in Namibia and add one of the trips below to experience what Namibia is all about!
1: A day trip can be arranged to Etosha National Park – experience one of Africa’s best game parks.
2. A 2-3 day trip can be arranged to Etosha National Park (accommodation can be camping, chalet or lodge depending on your budget)
3. Extension trips to Sossusvlei, Swakopmund, Caprivi Region
For more information contact the Namibia Vet Safari team at email@example.com